Head of the Department – Doctor of Political Sciences, Professor, Corresponding Member of NAS of Ukraine Galyna Zelenko.
The Department was created in accordance of the decision of the Academic Council of the Institute (Minutes № 5 of September 14, 2021) and the Bureau of the Department of History, Philosophy and Law of the NAS of Ukraine (Resolution № 9 of 21.10.2021) on the basis of the Department of Theoretical and Applied Problems of Political Science which was established in 1992. From its inception until 2019, the Department was headed by Doctor of Philosophy, Professor Felix Rudych.
The purpose and objectives of the Department are priority studies of political institutions and processes in Ukraine.
The main directions of the Department’s include the study of political practices of Ukraine and other transit countries of the former socialist bloc. In their research, employees of the Department mainly use quantitative and qualitative research methods, comparative and systematic methods, neo-institutionalism, etc.
Among the priority studies of the Department are the institutional changes of political system of Ukraine, forms of political participation, political behavior, trajectory of political regime transformation, crises of political development, institutional capacity of the state, political aspects of social capital development,
Scientific researchers of the department have participated in the realization of the following scientific-research themes:
- 2000–2002 – “Ukraine in the modern geopolitical space: theoretical and applied aspects”
- 2003–2004 – “Civil society in modern Ukraine: specifics of formation and development trends”
- 2005–2007 – “Political leadership in the post-socialist space: national and regional aspects”
- 2008–2010 – “Political class in modern Ukraine: specifics of formation and development trends”
- 2011–2013 – “Trends in the development of the political and ideological process in Ukrainian society in the context of modernization”
- 2014–2016 – “Political power and opposition in Ukraine: a comparative analysis with the CIS, Baltic and European Countries”
- 2017–2019 – “State policy of the strategic course of Ukraine’s development at the present stage: a political science analysis”
- 2020–2021 – “Crises of political development in Ukraine during the period of independence: content, causes and ways to overcome”
- 2020–2021 – “Changes of political regimes and prospects of strengthening democracy in Ukraine”
From 2022, the Department has been working on the themes “Political system of Ukraine between constitutional models and political practice” and “Institutional capacity of public authorities and self-governments in Ukraine: the state and directions of optimization.”
The main publications on the results of the research themes are as follows:
- Ukraine In Modern Geopolitical Space: Theoretical and Applied Aspects: a monograph / Ed. F. Rudych. Kyiv : MAUP, 2002. 485 p.
- Civil Society In Modern Ukraine: the Specifics of Formation, Development Trends: a monograph / Ed. F. Rudych. Kyiv : Parliamentary Publishing House, 2006. 412 p.
- Politics In Person. Political Leadership In the Post-socialist Space: National and Regional Contexts / Ed. F. Rudych. Kyiv : Parliamentary Publishing House, 2008. 352 p.
- Rudych F.M. How Much Power does a Government Need? Kyiv : Scientific Thought Publishing House of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 2009. 302 p.
- Political Regime and Democracy In Ukraine: Political Analysis: a monograph / Ed. F. Rudych. Kyiv : Kuras Institute of Politic and Ethnic Studies of the NAS of Ukraine, 2011. 456 p.
- Politics In Persons (Political Leadership In the Post-socialist Space: National and Regional Contexts): a textbook / Ed. F. Rudych. Kyiv : Kuras Institute of Politic and Ethnic Studies of the NAS of Ukraine, 2012. 400 p.
- Political and Ideological Process In Ukrainian Society In Terms of Modernization: a Comparative Analysis: a monograph / Ed. F. Rudych. Kyiv : Kuras Institute of Politic and Ethnic Studies of the NAS of Ukraine, 2013. 448 p.
- Institutional Changes of Political System of Ukraine: Assessment of the State, Development Trends. A scientific report / Ed. G. Zelenko. Kyiv : Kuras Institute of Politic and Ethnic Studies of the NAS of Ukraine, 2014. 164 p.
- Political Power and Opposition In Ukraine: Comparative Analysis With Foreign Countries: a monograph / Ed. F. Rudych. Kyiv : Kuras Institute of Politic and Ethnic Studies of the NAS of Ukraine, 2016. 488 p.
- Ukraine In Search of Strategies For Socio-political Development (1991–2018). Kyiv : Kuras Institute of Politic and Ethnic Studies of the NAS of Ukraine, 2019. 342 p.
- Changes of Political Regimes and Persppectives For Strengthening Democracy In Ukraine / G. Zelenko (supervisor, ed.), T. Bevz, S. Brekharya, M. Karmazina, V. Kovalevsky, O. Kondratenko, N. Kononenko, T. Lyashenko, O. Mayboroda, Y. Shaygorodsky. Kyiv : Kuras Institute of Politic and Ethnic Studies of the NAS of Ukraine, 2021. 416 p.
As of 2022, the Department has 9 full-time employees, including 3 doctors and 6 candidates of science. Over the years the Department has trained more than 30 doctors and candidates of political science.
The main personnel of the Department include the following researchers:
- Galyna Zelenko – Head of the Department of Theoretical and Applied Problems of Political Science, Doctor of Political Sciences, Professor
- Marija Karmazina – Chief Researcher, Doctor of Political Science, Professor
- Tenyana Lyashenko – Leading Researcher, Doctor of Political Sciences
- Rostyslav Balaban – Leading Researcher, Candidate of Political Sciences
- Vladyslav Kovalevskiy – Leading Researcher, Candidate of Political Science
- Nataliia Kononenko – Senior Researcher, Candidate of Political Sciences
- Eduard Shcherbenko – Researcher, Candidate of Philosophical Sciences
- Svitlana Brekharya – Junior Researcher, Candidate of Political Sciences
- Valeriy Machus’kyi – Junior Researcher, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences
Tel .: +38 (044) 286-27-81
e-mail: email@example.com[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]